Friday 5 February 2021

Yak Jensen and Stuart Pearce

I've recently been reading my copy of Glove Story 2, which, in case you didn't realise, is a book all about goalkeeping that features some of my repaints, as well as hand made mini glove bags! 

Even though I wouldn't particularly call myself a goalkeeping enthusiast, it's a cracking read, including some great stories that you may well have never heard before. 

Of course, there are many stories and points of interest, but a couple that stick in my mind as I write this are:

1. A team of English pro goalkeepers had a basketball match against the Harlem Globetrotters in the 1970s

2. The story that led to this figure:


Stuart Pearce loved playing in goal in his youth, and while he was semi pro at Wealdstone, he missed playing with his mates... so he registered as "Yak Jensen" with Dynamo Kingsbury Kiev! 

In Glove Story 2, Pearce reveals that he even chipped in with some goals, by going up for free kicks and corners, and occasionally dribbling out from the back!

I was asked to produce this remodel for the book, and was happy to do so. As you may have guessed, the kit didn't take long to paint!

I was going to end this post there, but thought- I've mentioned Wealdstone, why not stick another pic on as a bonus!

Another fairly simple repaint, but effective in it's simplicity! I also like the handpainted number. If I'm completely honest, I only attempted it because I'd printed the decal backwards, but I think it came out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment