Saturday 26 June 2021

Gazza, Euro '96

 Hi chums! In case you haven't realised, I'm self isolating, which explains the daily posts, after about 2 months without one!

Anyway, what a treat I have for you today. It's also a treat for me, cos I don't have to think of plausible reasons why figures that aren't really related to Euro 2020 are related to Euro 2020.

Nope, today, I've got a good old 'on this day' figure. 

Because on this day, England played Germany in Euro 96. And Paul Gascoigne looked a little like this:

So many vivid memories of that game; Shearer's early goal, the disallowed German golden goal, Anderton hitting the post, Gazza sliding just short of the ball at the far post. 

And Southgate's penalty. I remember Barry Davies shouting "Oh No!" like it was yesterday.

Euro 96 was the first tournament I watched England play in, and so the first one that I was properly invested in. We even put up a Euro 96 display at school, with my kit poster in the middle!

That was 25 years ago now. Surely we are due a great night against Germany, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment