Monday 29 November 2021

McAllister x3, Leeds

Gary McAllister is still one of the best players I've seen at Leeds. Was just class in everything he did, and controlled games from the middle of the park. 

Here are 3 iterations of him from different stages of his Leeds journey.


This is probably the away kit I would think of McAllister in first... probably because I had a poster of him in it on my wall!

I think at the time, a lot of people thought the this version and the green and blue kit were pretty much the same, but you'll notice a couple of main differences- the stripes are much thicker on the yellow and blue, and on the back there was a blue square for the name and number.


It's strange but I hardly associate the kit with Gary Mac at all. I picture it on Gary Speed... and they were both playing in it at the same time! Maybe Speed has more memorable moments in it, as a guess. Although, funnily enough, I'm pretty sure they both scored against Blackburn in it, in successive seasons!


And here he is as a manager... I really wanted him to be the one to get us promoted from League 1, but it just never worked out. We weren't as completely hopeless as a lot of people make out under his management. He got us to the playoff final after taking over midseason from Wise.

He also brought in some great players that summer, and had some patches of good form... he just couldn't sort the defence out, unfortunately. At the time I said I felt we were a good leader at the back from being a promotion team. Grayson arrived, signed Naylor, and we barely lost a game again til the end of the season...

No comments:

Post a Comment